Sunday, August 14, 2011

C25k program and the fun little apps

So, what is the Couch to 5k program? Well basically it is a program that does what it says....gets you from the couch to doing a 5k in 9 weeks. It is a walking and jogging program and there are a million apps that help you acomplish your goals. This website describes the program in detail. I like the program so far because it has structure on when I need to walk and when I need to run. When I tried to run before I would try to alternate jogging and walking but would never have a goal so it seemed to hard.

What is so much fun to me with this program are the cool little apps you can put on your iphone to help you attain your goals. These are the 2 that I am using:

Get Running - A little british lady prompts you when to walk and when to jog. It also keeps track of which days you need to be running. It can run at the same time as your music so the music just gets quieter and the Brit says, "Ok start running now!"

Nike+ GPS - This app keeps track of your distance, speed, calories burned etc. If you are on the street it maps your path as well. If you are indoors on a treadmill it still keeps track of your distance and you can set it up how you like to give you feedback as you are running. I have mine set at 1/4 mile marks. I think it is helpful while I am on the road as well because I find when I am not on the treadmill I don't set an even pace.

I got both of the apps for about 2 buck a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment